Thursday, February 11, 2010

Subversive Stitchers: Women Armed With Needles -- Isn't that a great name?!

I was invited to share in Dawn Goldsmith's special Celebration of Hearts week on her blog.  Check out Subversive Stitchers: Women Armed with Needles here. I've enjoyed following Dawn's blog and hope you'll visit it, too. She presents a wealth of great inspiration from a variety of presenters.  And you've gotta love the name!

The story posted there about novelist Marie Bostwick and a quilt I designed for her book, A Single Thread,  celebrates a special kind of relationship -- the love among quilting buddies. This Valentine's weekend let's all reflect and express caring and gratitude for those other creatives who have touched us. I know that if you're reading this, you are one of those people to me.  HUGS & THANKS!

A great thing about women armed with needles -- we get to express ourselves uniquely.  I like to encourage newer quilters to not let any "rules" or someone else's colors or pattern block their originality. Those of you who know my quilts might guess that my version of the Broken Hearts Mending quilt is a lot brighter and scrappier than the one pictured on Dawn's blog. But -- I must admit -- mine is still a UFO, unfinished.  

Not surprising. I just got back from a four-day quilting retreat where I could have worked on any number of UFOs. Instead, I started two new art quilts!  And I had a great, great time!  I'll keep you posted on what I did there  . . .  next week.

3 comments:

  1. Chris, I had no idea you designed this quilt! I loved that book--very touching. Good work. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I had no idea you read the book, Jan! How cool is that? Obviously we both made it home from the retreat. Great seeing you there -- good company late into the evenings in the work room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris! You know, people just love your design. So do I! I've had a chance to see it done in so many colors and styles. It's been really fun. Yep, women armed with needles get to express their special, unique selves - which is just as it should be. xo's to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete