Sunday, January 8, 2012

Just Over the Edge


Made especially for a North Coast Artists Guild LIVING ON THE EDGE show, my quilted wallhanging "Just Over the Edge" uses the hues we see on a bright, sunny day as we gaze over land’s edge at the sand, the rocks, the harbor seals, the ocean, the breaking waves, and the sky. I hand-painted some of the fabrics; others were purchased hand-dyes in silk and cotton, as well as commercial fabrics, combined in a way that was just over the edge from what I’ve done in the past. The finishing is Sue Benner-inspired, “just over the edge” as well.

This small 20" x 18" piece is now on exhibit at the NCAG show -- which features 57 artists and 120 works of art -- at Gualala Arts Center, Gualala, California, up from January 6 - 29, 2012. At the Opening on Friday, I was pleased to see a First Place - Quilts ribbon hanging next to it. Painting, printmaking, photography, sculpture, jewelry, digital art and other fine art predominate over the show's few quilts, but I was happy to hear the judge Donna Seager of the Seager Gray Gallery in San Rafael (Marin County, CA) tell me when she handed me my prize check that she had really liked both of my entries. Big Grin.
Details:












2 comments:

  1. Your piece turned out great, but when I went to see the show at 11am this morning, the Art Center was closed, so I will have to wait to see it in person. Donna Seager was very open and gracious, and I am pleased she complimented you on both quilts. You other entry is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jackie, and Congratulations to you on winning Best of Show! Friends, check out her blog, and especially her entry about this show, at http://jackiegardener.blogspot.com/2012/01/overwhelmed.html.
    I am very grateful that Jackie and I regularly share in critiquing each other's work; she's always an inspiration and shares her great artistic insights. It's particularly nice that our media are different.

    ReplyDelete