Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Quilt of Valor

I made this quilt to donate to a wonderful nationwide program called Quilts of Valor. Along with many others from my fellow Pacific Piecemakers Quilt Quild members, it will be delivered to a wounded veteran recovering at the Palo Alto Veterans' Hospital. It's based on a block sometimes called "Sweet Sara" (by Laura Nownes, I think).  If you look at the detail photo, you can make out the border quilting which I did free motion--I really like how that turned out (except at the stop and start points -- oh, well). And you can also see the hand-stitched perle cotton red star, like others scattered throughout the quilt. The user will be able to see those up close.

To fit the theme of a guild challenge show that opened Friday night at Gualala Arts, in Gualala, CA, I named the quilt "Rhapsody in Red, White, and Blue." On the pedestal is a patriotic pillowcase, using fabrics mostly from the back of the quilt, which have the pledge of allegiance and LAND OF LIBERTY printed on them. We send the quilts in pillowcases or tote bags to protect the quilts and also for the service men and women's use.  I send this quilt with love, gratitude, and prayers.

2 comments:

  1. I loved your quilt, Chris, and those quilted stars really blew me away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. I heard from Marilyn that when she delivered the quilts of valor this May, this one was selected by and given to a young vet who had lost both arms and both legs . . . and he was amazed that a quilter would put in so much effort to make the quilt for a stranger. Can you imagine??? Look what he did for all of us who don't know him!

    ReplyDelete